Thursday, February 23, 2006

Billion-Year-Old Carbon...

There is something Mother Earth does that I didn't notice until today. She catches soldiers when they die. It isn't a bad thing. It's just that she is there. And when his life begins to end and his body sinks down, it is she who gathers him up. As if to say:
"There, now. I will hold you. I will take your blood into my Self and love it well. Lay on me and take your rest. I am not going anywhere. I will stay here 'til they come for you. I will release you only reluctantly, but when the ceremony is finished, I will hold you again in my arms. To them you were a soldier. To them you were enemy and hero. To me, you are flesh of ash and blood of dust, water and carbon, and that is all. That is enough for me. Whatever you have done, whatever has been done to you, it matters not at all. You are my child."
We walk on her day after day, and eat of her fruits. She gives us breath and protection regardless of our ideologies. We don't always notice her. But she - to the very end - notices us...

Vim

No comments: