Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Is Jimi Hendrix rolling over in his grave?

Orwell said something like this:
"Whoever controls the past, controls the future.
And whoever controls the present, controls the past." [1984]
So, I think I saw this yesterday.
Our 'friends' at CNN offered a brief video called "Jimi Hendrix Revisited."
I don't know why Jimi is all the rage lately.
I think it's because Hyperion Books is pushing the new Hendrix biography,
"Room Full of Mirrors: A Biography of Jimi Hendrix" by Charles R. Cross.
But anyways, there he is, shredding his guitar in a little window
and there's the lure to 'click here' and watch this little synopsis of his life.
So I do it.
I click the button.
And up he pops.
A little black screen to the left,
a description of the piece to the right:
"CNN's Miles O'Brien profiles the late Jimi Hendrix."
Now, what's that banner across the bottom say?
"With your guidance he found his path...Go Army.Com."
A young black man gazes contentedly to the left in his brand new fatigues.
An implied celebrity endorsement?
Looks like a possibility.
Within the piece, O'Brien first summarizes Jimi's career and early death,
then returns to Jimi's early years with:
"It was the Army that first helped Hendrix escape his impoverished background in Seattle."
He follows with Jimi's early R&B era saying:
"Later, after being discharged, he paid his dues as a back up guitarist touring with.....[on the the rest of the story].
Maybe I am making too much of this.
Probably am.
But still, these thoughts came to me and I want to write them down.
Jimi joined the Army to escape poverty.
But he was not too keen on serving the country that turned a blind eye TO that poverty.
He spent most of his time trying to figure out how to get out.
Eventually he implied that he was gay, so they got rid of him...early.
It seems Jim Morrison used a similar tactic and got similar results.
Jimi did NOT believe in war as a means of solving modern problems.
The implications that he did, is not a true represention of his beliefs.
"Machine Gun" was written in protest of the VietNam conflict.
Check out these lyrics:

"Machine Gun, yeah
Tearing my body all apart
Machine Gun, yeah
Tearing my body all apart
Evil man make me kill ya
Evil man make you
kill me
Evil man make me kill you
Even though we’re only families
apart..."

And his "Variations on the Star Spangled Banner"
demonstrated, as the late Al Aronowitz suggested,
that it was OK to love your country, yet hate your government.
So, there is the Jimi of history
and there is the Jimi of re-written history.
Or at least that potential is front and center,
to make Jimi appear to say what he never said,
to endorse something he never endorsed,
to be something he never was.
Did CNN and the U.S. Army intentionally place themselves around Jimi?
Are they implying "Join the Army and when you get out, you can play music and be a rock star just like Jimi?"
Are they suggesting that Jimi would approve?
Only THEY really know what their intentions were.
I am only stating what I saw and how it felt,
and maybe I'm out of line,
but I just wanted to set the record straight so Jimi can settle back down in his grave
and Rock-In-Peace!

No comments: