Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Should this work endure...

When my brother died of AIDS on this day in 1992, I didn't realize that his death would bring me Life beyond all my imaginings. I just felt lost. I didn't want him to come back, I wanted to go with him, wherever that was. But it didn't happen. Instead, I stayed here and began to Live. His gift, I guess. And unexpected. So, I salute him today, wherever he is and whatever it is that he's doing. You are the BEST, Billy. I love you...Cle.

This is the Forward to the book I wrote about Billy and me and the whole adventure. It is entitled Safely Through the Fire: A Story of Love, Loss, and Rebirth.:

"Should this work endure into an age when understanding, acceptance and compassion are the rule of the day, I want the reader to know that there was a time in the history of mankind when it was not so. Against the dark social backdrop of fear, superstition, and intolerance, some souls shown as brilliant stars, reminding us that there was indeed a better way. My brother was such a Star. Within these pages, I have offered the reader an opportunity to gaze upon the night sky of the disease called AIDS, and to discover that contrary to public opinion, it is ablaze with the welcoming light of love, peace, and hope."
Read and enjoy! ---Vim

No comments: